THE POWER OF CO2 EXTRACTION
A Safer, Cleaner, Purer & Faster Way To Extract Botanical Oils.
There are many ways to extract hemp oil from industrial hemp plants. Some methods can be done at home using cheap and unapproved systems, while others require the use of sophisticated lab equipment and technicians. Go with a brand who does their homework.
CO2 is unique because its solvency power can change by simply adjusting the temperature and pressure during the extraction. This provides Green Valley Nutrition with several benefits over other industry standard extraction methods:
- Non-Toxic. With CO2 as a solvent for oil extraction, no toxins, heavy metals or hydrocarbon materials come in contact with the extracted oils. Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) by the FDA for use in food products and commonly found in carbonated beverages. Our bodies produce it when we breathe!
- Pure. Extracted material is completely free of residual solvents.
- Natural. Other extraction solvents, such as hydrocarbon-based propellants like propane and butane, hexane and pentane, or ethanol/alcohol mixtures, require additional distillation or purging beyond the extraction process to separate the solvent from the extracted oil. CO2 has a very low boiling temperature and wants to be a gas at room temperature, so it naturally separates from the extracted oil, the same way a soda goes “flat.”
- Non-Flammable. Does not require costly explosion-proof facilities like flammable solvents do.
- Cold. Heat is the enemy of any botanical oil. Cold separation is critical for maintaining THCA or CBDA of cannabis extraction because cold separation will not decarboxylate extracted oils in the separator. CO2 extractions can be done at temperatures native to the plant, minimizing thermal degradation of the plant material and the extracted oil.
- Adjustable. The solvency power of CO2 can be adjusted simply by increasing or decreasing pressures and/or temperatures. The ability of the CO2 to selectively extract affords the ability to create unique extractions that have varying levels of desirable oils and waxes. Additionally, less desirable plant constituents, like chlorophyll, can be eliminated.
- Cost-Efficient. CO2 is readily available and widely used throughout a number of industries. Green Valley Nutrition CO2 oil extraction systems recirculate and subsequently recover 95% of the CO2 used in each extraction.
- Environmentally Friendly. Industrial CO2 for extractions comes from byproducts – primarily hydrogen and ammonia manufacturing and fermentation for ethanol. CO2used for extractions does not contribute to the overall atmospheric CO2 levels.